Thursday, February 24, 2011

Arizona anti-immigration activist sentenced to death

There are so many heartbreaking stories in immigration. Just today, we hear the news of the arrest by Mexican authorities of the suspect in the shocking, brazen, and terrible shooting death of an American border agent that happened a few days ago. And on this same day, a jury sentenced to death an American anti-immigrant activist who orchestrated the heinous, criminal and tragic home invasion shooting death of a 9 year old girl.

I can't comment on the specifics of these stories, you can read all the details yourselves on the links provided. But I have to say the following. I got into immigration law because I was an immigrant myself, as were my parents and my grandparents. We had to flee our home country due to circumstances beyond our control and beyond even our comprehension. Far from the political wheelers and dealers and the extremist factions, it is the average people, the families with small children, the elderly, the disabled, the hopeless, who are the ones who suffer from the turmoil of civil war and unrest, revolutions and coups, drug wars and genocide. And for most of these people, their dream is to attain the West. Not that Western countries are perfect. But no matter how flawed or imperfect Western countries are, it is a reality that this is where people seek refuge because they feel they have the most chance at safety and a normal life, and yes, even maybe happiness.

News stories like the ones I have read today break my heart. So much death, destruction, and hate, that will only add to the fuel of more death, destruction, and hate...

No comments:

Post a Comment